Standard: DIN603 /DIN608/ ANSI/ASME B18.104.22.168M / 2M /3M
Material: stainless steel A2-304,A4-316,SMO254,201,202,
Size:from 1/4” to 7/8”, from M5 to M20.
Length:from 1/2" to 15" ,from12MM-380MM
Surface finish:Plain or Customized
Packing: cartons with furmigated pallets
Supply ability: 50tons per month
Assembly: normally with hex nut or hex flange nut.
When it comes to fastening heavy machinery and equipment, you need a reliable and sturdy bolt. And what better option than the stainless steel carriage bolt? These bolts are known for their strength, durability, and rust-resistant properties, making them a popular choice among professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike.
In this article, we'll take a deep dive into SS carriage bolts, covering everything from their composition and types to their applications and benefits. So, let's get started!
SS carriage bolts are a type of fastener that have a round head and a square neck. They are commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and engineering industries to join two or more objects together. These bolts are popular due to their strength, durability, and rust-resistant properties, making them an excellent choice for outdoor and marine applications.
In the following sections, we'll explore the composition, types, applications, benefits, installation, maintenance, and care of SS carriage bolts. Additionally, we'll compare them with other bolts and provide you with essential factors to consider when buying them.
2. What is an SS Carriage Bolt?
An SS carriage bolt, also known as a coach bolt, is a type of bolt that has a smooth, dome-shaped head and a square neck. The head of the bolt is usually wider than the shank, making it easy to grip and tighten. The square neck prevents the bolt from spinning while being installed, providing additional stability to the object being fastened.
3. Composition of SS Carriage Bolts
SS carriage bolts are made of stainless steel, which is an alloy of iron, carbon, and other metals. The exact composition of stainless steel varies depending on the grade, but it generally contains at least 10.5% chromium, which gives it its rust-resistant properties. Some grades of stainless steel also contain nickel and other elements that enhance their strength and durability.
4. Types of SS Carriage Bolts
There are several types of SS carriage bolts, including:
- Full-threaded SS carriage bolts: These bolts have threads that run along the entire length of the shank, providing maximum grip and strength.
- Partially-threaded SS carriage bolts: These bolts have threads that run only partially along the shank, making them ideal for applications where the bolt needs to be tightened and loosened frequently.
- Round-head SS carriage bolts: These bolts have a round head instead of a domed one, making them suitable for applications where the bolt head needs to be flush with the surface.
- Mushroom-head SS carriage bolts: These bolts have a head that is wider than the shank and narrower than a dome head, making them an ideal choice for applications where a low-profile head is required.
5. Applications of SS Carriage Bolts
SS carriage bolts are widely used in various industries, including:
- Construction: SS carriage bolts are commonly used in the construction of wooden structures, such as houses, bridges, and fences.
- Manufacturing: SS carriage bolts are used in the manufacturing of machinery, equipment,and tools to fasten parts together securely.
- Marine: SS carriage bolts are popular in marine applications due to their rust-resistant properties, making them ideal for use in boats, docks, and piers.
- Automotive: SS carriage bolts are used in automotive applications to join parts of a vehicle together, such as body panels and frames.
6. Benefits of SS Carriage Bolts
The use of SS carriage bolts offers several benefits, including:
- Rust-resistant: The stainless steel composition of SS carriage bolts makes them highly resistant to rust and corrosion, ensuring a long lifespan and durability.
- High strength: SS carriage bolts are known for their high strength, providing a secure and stable connection between parts.
- Easy to install: The square neck of the bolt prevents it from spinning while being installed, making it easy to install and ensuring a stable connection.
- Versatile: SS carriage bolts can be used in various applications and industries, making them a versatile and practical choice.
7. How to Install SS Carriage Bolts
Installing SS carriage bolts is a straightforward process that can be done with a few tools. Here are the steps to follow:
- Determine the location and size of the hole to be drilled for the bolt.
- Drill a hole with a diameter slightly smaller than the shank of the bolt.
- Insert the bolt into the hole, making sure the square neck is facing the surface being fastened.
- Place a washer and nut onto the end of the bolt and tighten using a wrench until secure.
8. Maintenance and Care of SS Carriage Bolts
SS carriage bolts require minimal maintenance and care, thanks to their rust-resistant properties. However, to ensure their longevity and effectiveness, it's essential to:
- Keep them clean and free of debris and dirt.
- Check for any signs of corrosion or rust and replace if necessary.
- Use a lubricant or anti-seize compound during installation to prevent galling or seizing of the bolt.
9. Comparing SS Carriage Bolts with Other Bolts
When it comes to selecting a bolt for your application, there are various options available. Let's compare SS carriage bolts with other popular bolts:
- Hex bolts: Hex bolts are similar to SS carriage bolts, but they have a hexagonal head instead of a round one. They are commonly used in heavy-duty applications and provide high strength and reliability. However, they are more prone to corrosion than SS carriage bolts.
- Lag bolts: Lag bolts are used in wood applications and have a pointed tip, making them easy to install. However, they are not suitable for use in metal applications and have lower shear strength than SS carriage bolts.
- Eye bolts: Eye bolts have a looped head and are used for lifting heavy loads. They are suitable for applications that require frequent disassembly and reassembly. However, they are not as strong as SS carriage bolts and may corrode easily.
10. Buying SS Carriage Bolts: Factors to Consider
When buying SS carriage bolts, there are several factors to consider, including:
- Grade: SS carriage bolts are available in various grades, each with different properties and strengths. It's essential to select the right grade for your application to ensure a secure and stable connection.
- Size: The size of the bolt you need will depend on the thickness of the material being fastened.
- Quantity: Determine the number of bolts you need for your application to avoid under or overbuying.
- Manufacturer: Choose a reputable and trusted manufacturer to ensure the quality and reliability of the bolts.
11. Where to Buy SS Carriage Bolts
SS carriage bolts are widely available at hardware stores, online retailers, and specialty bolt suppliers. It's essential to choose a reliable and reputable supplier to ensure the quality and reliability of the bolts. When selecting a supplier, consider the following factors:
- Reputation: Choose a supplier with a good reputation for providing high-quality and reliable bolts.
- Pricing: Compare prices from different suppliers to ensure you're getting a fair deal.
- Availability: Ensure the supplier has the bolts you need in stock and can deliver them in a timely manner.
- Customer service: Choose a supplier with excellent customer service to ensure any issues or concerns are resolved promptly.
SS carriage bolts are a versatile and practical fastening solution that offers several benefits, including rust-resistance, high strength, and ease of installation. They are widely used in various applications, including construction, marine, and automotive industries. When buying SS carriage bolts, it's essential to consider factors such as size, grade, quantity, and manufacturer. By following proper maintenance and care, SS carriage bolts can provide a long lifespan and durable connection.
What is an SS carriage bolt?
An SS carriage bolt is a type of fastener that features a round head and square neck, designed to prevent the bolt from spinning during installation.
What are SS carriage bolts used for?
SS carriage bolts are used in various applications, including construction, marine, and automotive industries, to fasten parts together securely.
Why are SS carriage bolts rust-resistant?
SS carriage bolts are made from stainless steel, which is highly resistant to rust and corrosion.
How do you install an SS carriage bolt?
To install an SS carriage bolt, drill a hole slightly smaller than the shank of the bolt, insert the bolt, place a washer and nut onto the end, and tighten using a wrench.
Where can I buy SS carriage bolts?
SS carriage bolts are widely available at hardware stores, online retailers, and specialty bolt suppliers. Choose a reliable and reputable supplier for high-quality and reliable bolts.